Friday, December 10, 2010

sculpt or die!

check out this amazing life like sculpture of steve caballero done by ehren bienert. fuckin' jaw droppin' siq! speechless... much respect!

ehren bienert ©the sculpture.

ehren bienert ©the image used.

ehren bienert ©steve caballero.

-----

circa 1994... i was standing outside my jr high school waiting for my mom to pick me up. i watched in fascination as two fellow 9th graders rolled by on their skateboards. mike manidis looked up at me after attempting some sort of flip trick and said, "i know there is a skater in you." (mike is currently directing the element skate camp, and i think that makes perfect sense.)

he was right, and the following year i began skateboarding. 15 years later, i still ride. a lot happened in the interim of course. i (barely) graduated high school, went to art school in philadelphia, started sculpting professionally, got married, bought a house etc etc. through all the ups and downs, i had two constants. my art and skateboarding.

during the 7 years i spent sculpting for mcfarlane toys, i had a lot of time to reflect on my interests. at some point in 2007, it dawned on me that i could combine the two great passions of my life in to one pursuit. i could sculpt skateboarders. few things in my life have seemed more obvious. i could combine my years of experience in professional sculpting with my years of experience as a skateboarder. i immediately felt as though i had found my 'niche'. and so with no real goal in mind other than enjoying myself, i went home that night and started sculpting a skateboarder at my kitchen table in our tiny studio apartment.
- ehren bienert.

check out more of ehren bienert's amazing works, here.

peace.